This is Video #10 of our CUCM series, which is designed to help viewers understand how to configure the features and functionalities of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, or CUCM. The tutorials will be fast paced and it is recommended to repeat the videos several times along with actual practice of the concepts described. This series will be helpful for aspiring CCNA/CCNP Collaboration candidates to prepare for their certification.
In this video, we will discuss how to add phones through Bulk Administration Tool (BAT).
- Bulk Administration Tool is useful when it comes to adding number of phones that can’t be managed through CLI configuration.
- Steps to Configure Phones through Bulk Administration Tool
- Login to CUCM and under Bulk Administration click on ‘Upload/Download Files’.
- Select ‘bat.xlt’ file and click on ‘Download’.
- Open CSV file and go to ‘Phones’ tab.
- Select the Phone Model. There are no specific phone models here but generic types such as CIPC , VGC Phone or a normal hardware phone.
- Click on ‘Create File Format’. A dialog box will appear. Select the configuration attributes from the left boxes and click on the right arrow button to bring the items to the right side boxes. Once done click on ‘Create’. This will add more columns to the ‘Phones’ tab.
- Fill out the information in the columns. Click ‘Export to BAT format’ once done, and save the file to a directory on your local machine.
- Go back to CUCM and under Bulk Administration -> Upload/Download Files -> Click on ‘Add New’ to upload the new BAT file saved on your local machine. Select Phone and Insert Phones- Specific Details on the drop down boxes.
- Go back to Bulk Administration -> Phones -> Phone Template. Fill out the form and then saved once all mandatory items have been filled up.
- Click on one of the lines and create a Line Template and then save. Make sure the Line Template name appears on the Phone Template line section.
- To validate errors go to Bulk Administration -> Phones -> Validate Phones and select the BAT file uploaded and the Phone Template. Choose Run Immediately or Run Later.
- Go to Bulk Administration -> Job Scheduler. Look for the job created and click on the filename to check if there are any errors. If there are no errors proceed to adding the phones.
- Under Bulk Administration -> Phones -> Insert Phones and choose the BAT file and the template.
- Check Job Scheduler to verify if there are any errors.
Go to Device -> Phone and the phones added in BAT should be there.